Friday, November 12, 2010

Nyerd alert - stenciling with Tomato Powder!

I previously mentioned this new, silly trick I've been pulling occasionally - grabbing a doily, or some cool cut-out placemat and dusting savory things with tomato powder.

I took it to the next level for a friend of mine's going away party. She was moving to NYC, so I purloined Glaser's lovely logo, cut it out of a thick piece of paper, and went to town on a Crepe Cake glazed with a thick bechamel:






















Yeah, that's what I thought to myself when I finished. "Wow. I'm a nerd."

Was thinking it, as I shot an in-process shot:
















Still thinking it, when I took multiple views, for posterity:






















It was a hit for the 6 seconds people stared at the thing before devouring it like a pack of wild, crepe-starved werewolves. Good times.

I found some spinach powder the other day, from the same source as the 'mater dust. If you'd like to try your own food stenciling, Frontier sells stuff online. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment