Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Ode to Asiadog

It all started with this dude.

And two days after reading that rad little tidbit, we were chowing down on some of the awesomest dogs ever (veg/pork alike) at a pal's cookout. Which was random, since we'd never been to her casa before, and I show up with like, 20 vials of assorted kimchees, relishes, pates, etc, cover her kitchen table, and go to work on Ode to Asiadogfest '11.
















Crowd fav was the Sidney - "Thai style" dog with mango relish, jalapeno (optional - nerds), cuke, cilantro, peanuts, onions, umm... yeah there was a ton of stuff on that there weiner. It's the one in the middle.

Mine, however, had to be the Vinh - Bahn Mi dog. Hullllloooooo.






















Best part, tho - I still have multiple kinds of stinky, glorious Kimchi aging in random places around my kitchen. Saurkraut ain't got nothing on this, it's spicier, hotter, prettier Cousin.





































I know I'm running the risk of more angryangry putting a Kimchi recipe up - but this recipe is what I used (as a base) adding stuff as I saw fit - a little sesame oil, twice the pepper paste, more garlic, celery, etc. I had a half-head of red cabbage to use up, so one pickle was bright maroon - gorgeous. We did standard Napa:
















And, a new one to me - Apple Kimchi, in a further attempt to replicate the Asiadog experience. Ain't the Tubes wonderful? I've never had a dog from that cart IRL but there were enough pics, convos, menus, etc available that we could do the Stinky Dog Stand justice. 
















The Apple went atop a simple dog - the Ito - slathered with a paste made from S+B's boxed Golden Curry (watch out MSG haters- it's full of it). This was a close second for me - partly because I could take my time eating this dog (the Thai fell apart instantly, yay mango slaw).

I also ate two with nothing but Kimchi. They were fantastic. New fav topping for dogs this summer.






















Anyways. NYCers, you're lucky. The rest of us have to make do.

5 comments:

  1. Ok, now I want to hop in my car and drive over the bridge in rush hour traffic for a dog! They look so yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to hang those doggy pics on my wall! They are works of art.

    ReplyDelete