Saturday, March 26, 2011

I like to party.

And I love bringing food to parties.

It started out when I did a lot of hanging with a particularly non-soy-friendly crowd in NYC - I knew there'd be bacon in everything people brought to whatever potluck/shindig was getting crammed into someone's incredibly tiny apt, so I'd play it like I was going to anyway - you know, I just had this vegan lasagna in the fridge and it needed to get eaten.

Over time, I've developed preferences for party-friendly food. It can't look confusing - ingredients should be evident. Small is good - one hand probably has a drink in it. Slimy, gooey textures scare people off (I learned this after making a crock pot full of Swedish Meatballs for a cocktail party that people would stare at suspectfully as they walked by, like some meatball amoeba was about to pour forth and consume them). Basically, it stands to reason that if you can get everything you want people to taste in a single bite (maybe two), that's the best way to go.

That's not to say I'm above standing at the wedding buffet, scooping pounds of spinach/artichoke dip onto a plate waaaay to small to hold the steaming mass, but if I'm the one at the wheel, things usually get tiny and complicated. Anyway.

Hello, burrito sushi.























Fiesta time, mi mujeres y hombres. You might think nori + salsa = weird, and you'd be right. But goodweird.























This is a pretty straightforward recipe - just make a batch of sushi rice but treat it like this recipe for yellow oats - some faux-chicken (or real, if you're so inclined) stock, saffron, garlic, a dash of turmeric for color.

Then, for the filling -

Queso Fresco (vegan darlings - try some Daiya OR crumble a teeny bit of firm tofu, toss with lemon juice, nutritional yeast, salt and garlic powder)
Refried Black Beans
Salsa (mine's simple - handful cilantro, one large tomato diced fine, 2 cloves garlic, minced, 1/3 medium red onion diced fine as well, half a lime's juice, 1 fresh jalapeno, again, fine dice, salt and pepper to taste)
Sour cream (again, darlings - I love this recipe for Soy Sour Cream, give it a whirl or just leave it out!)
Shredded Lettuce
Avocado

- being as conservative as possible. I used about 3/4 - 1 tablespoon of each filling, and still ended up with jumbo rolls.

As long as you don't add any oil or fat to the rice, it'll maintain its stickiness enough so that you don't have to add vinegar/sugar.

Just a piece of advice - if you're making these for 5-6 hours in the future (and especially if they're sitting overnight) double wrap these rolls with nori.

Burrito Sushi Rice

makes enough for 6 rolls

2 cups short grained white rice ("sushi" rice) washed
3 1/2 cups water mixed with 2 cubes faux-chicken boillion
1 tablespoon garlic, minced
1 tablespoon safflower
1 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder

Boil the broth and seasonings and add rice, stir, and cover. Simmer over low heat for 20 minutes. Let sit 10, uncover and stir, and cool (either on the stove, or if you're anxious to get burrito-sushi makin, in the freezer).


















I totally made a batch a couple weeks ago (because I had a ton of fajita making leftovers and wanted to do something weird with them, you know how it is) with standard sushi rice and they were decent. Flavoring the rice really makes this shine, however.



















Slice, drizzle with hot sauce, skewer with festive toothpicks, and serve.

22 comments:

  1. Looooooove the colours in this, totally looks like party time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your sushi is absolutely gorgeous! I want to try that rice creation, I can imagine the flavor really pops.

    And now I'm singing "Julia likes to party" to Venga Bus!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is amazing! I definitely have this bookmarked!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You. Are. A. Genius.

    We used to make sushi all the time at home, but over time we just got bored of all the standard fillings. I can't wait to make these!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The name would probably have me shutter a little but I'd be willing to give these a try after the sights of them. They look delicious! Amazing how inventive you are! Culinary genious. I have never seen or heard anything like this before.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Snob - thanks bookoodles! It is a festive palate, I agree.

    @Tiff - Coming from a sushi-obsessed lady, thems big words! Gratzi!

    @katie, eggs - thanks loves :) Like any other food tradition, rules governing sushi fillings are meant to be broken.

    @PC - it's funny, I feel like people have to have done this before. It was super easy, especially since I had all the ingredients at hand, staring me in the face. And that's often how my foodbrain works - from one shared ingredient (in this case, rice, as there's rice in both sushi and proper burritos) to some odd combo of flavors that really isn't meant to be.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The colors and photos are beautiful! What a creative little concoction. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I saw this idea in San francisco at Sushiritto. But I didn't ever think to make it myself, but why not? Looks amazing. Can't wait to go the market and get some sashimi to make this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You Photo AND Recipe Title stood out from the pack today on FoodBuzz's top 9. This is a great idea! I love the choices, the directions, the photos, the colours - it's all perfect. Definitely throwing these into my mix for my next gathering.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats on the Buzz!

    I'm not a seafood fan, so this looks especially amazing to me. Love the creativity. And I love Mexican. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so creative. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Is the safflower powdered or it is the oil? Is there an easy subsitute?

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Megan + Lora - thanks so much ladies :)

    @Addicted Baker - I figured I couldn't possibly be the first. I'll have to try that spot next time I'm in SF!

    @Denine - thanks love :) I kinda feel odd not having a step-by-step up, but I figured most of us know how to roll sushi at this point.

    @Laura - hooray! I love all the new faces the Top 9 brings to NFP. Glad be both share an intense, firey passion for Mexican. Or at least, I do!

    @KatieOH - safflower is the cheaper cousin to Saffron. You could easily use saffron threads instead, in a much smaller amount, to the same effect. Do keep the oil to a minimum in this recipe - you want the rice to maintain that sticky, sushi rice texture.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great idea and your pics are gorgeous

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for the idea. I made this tonight
    http://dadbakes.com/?p=452

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mmmmm looks delicious Chris. A fine take, says I.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sushi is one of the things I miss since going veg. I love this idea:)

    ReplyDelete
  18. This stole the show at my housewarming party in June and I'm getting requests for future events. So great. 'Had tons left over and enjoyed myself some delicious many a roll over the next few days. (note, if you leave the roll in-tacked, they'll keep for at least 3 days in the refrigerator, cutting right before you eat it, that is.)

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is a fan-freakin-tastic idea. Love it!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yellow sushi!? Its a realy new idea!

    ReplyDelete