Thursday, January 6, 2011

A little retro, a little weirdo - Waldorf Salad Quesadilla

Happy New Year my dears!

This is totally one of those things I'd never make for myself, but that my clients LOVE. Sweet, tart, slightly creamy. Desert for lunch, a little.






















Of course, my ability to love Waldorf Salad goes up exponentially when it's sammiched in between two quesadillas and a bunch of sharp cheddar. Mmmmm hmmmm. If you'd prefer to preserve the illusion of healthy lunch, however, eat it atop lettuce or in a wrap. The addition of tofu makes it a super-complete meal.

Tofu Waldorf Salad

1 block firm tofu, diced to 1/2 inch sized pieces
Vegetable oil, to fry

1 granny smith apple, cored, diced
1 small bunch grapes, destemmed, cut in half
2 ribs celery, diced
1/2 red pepper, diced
2/3 cup candied pecans, cut in fourths
Parsley, chives, scallions - about 1/4 cup fresh herbs, minced
Black pepper, lots
1/3 cup dried cherries or cranberries, rehydrated a bit with boiling water for 10 minutes
1/2 cup mayonaisse
1/4 cup sour cream
Dash lemon juice

Heat vegetable oil to fry in a a large pot or wok - fry tofu in batches to golden-crust land. Drain well on paper towels and chill in the freezer for 20 minutes or so. 
















The rest is easy peasy. Mix everything but the mayo, sour cream, and lemon juice in a large salad bowl. Mix the remaining three ingredients in a small bowl and using a scraper, add to salad, toss, and serve. Best made the day before to let the flavors meld a bit.
















This is kind of like the Club Sammich Quesadilla I posted last month - a weird quesadillafication of a classic salad sandwich. I figured it'd be hella delicious since apples and sharp cheddar are soooo tasty together, and it was. This is a thick quesadilla, so we're going to do this with an oven broiler instead of the skillet, so you don't lost filling when you flip.






















Waldorf Quesadilla

2 10-inch burrito tortillas
1 cup Tofu Waldorf Salad
2/3 cup shredded sharp cheddar

Lay one tortilla out on a pizza pan and sprinkle half the cheddar over. Spoon the salad over the cheese, spreading, until it uniformly covers the tortilla. Sprinkle the remaining cheddar over the salad and press the second tortilla onto the stack firmly. 

Use the top rack position in your oven and broil the quesadilla on high for 2-3 minutes, until the tortilla starts to brown in spots. Using a plate to flip, cover the quesadilla with a plate, flip the whole thing over, and carefully slide the quesadilla back onto the pizza pan. Return to the oven to broil the over side.






















Let cool 5 minutes and slice. Deeeeelicious!

6 comments:

  1. Miss Julia--it's Tiffany, hi :) OMG, thank you for posting this. Love Waldorf salad so much and would have never thought to make a quesadilla out of it. I am totally bookmarking this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hiya Tiff! Glad you dig :) Ya, I'm obsessed with making weird quesadillas lately, and every time I do pretty much, I'm like "why haven't I tried this before?". This one was kinda pimento-cheesey, what with the mayo/cheddar/pepper combo and all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am all about the quesadillas! I tried some funky ones in the past like buffalo chicken and pizza quesadillas and they turned out good. I think the next one I'm agonna make is a mediterranean one with hummus, olives and tabbuleh if I can swing it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice, Shaka! Will you use haloumi or something as the "cheese glue", or go vegan with it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, waldorf salad quesadillas! What an awesome-sounding idea! I must try!

    I was looking at a late-60s Betty Crocker cookbook this morning. Waldorf salad I can appreciate, but some ideas seem way funny and retro to me (jellied tomato salad molds? frankfurter-egg sandwiches?). Too awesome.

    BTW, just recently came across your great blog here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hiya V!

    I have a serious soft-spot in my heart for all those uber-weirdo gelatin based entrees of the past. I mean, MTAOFC has an entire chapter devoted to them even. But talk about my first memories of revulsion and food - jellied fruit salad, age 4, I remember gagging. Vividly.

    ReplyDelete