Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Latkes! Encore!

Since we're all unabashed potato lovers in this house (that's right, I even PEEL them half the time), I'm often looking for new flavors to pair with earthy-starchy.

We still had several pounds of VA apples from our camping/foraging trip last weekend, so I started off by simmering them with a little molasses and brown sugar, a la this recipe. And since we'd also brought home 3 pounds of the biggest, gnarliest taters I'd seen in many moons, well, Latkes were on the menu again. What a tragedy, eh?

















The fun thing about these was surely the secret filling - folded slices of brie, all melty and creamy. Man. I think I ate 5 before I realized what I was doing. Add a little applesauce on top, and there's some serious flavor play happening here. Yum.

Brie-Stuffed Latkes

4 large potatoes, parboiled and peeled
2 large eggs, scrambled
1 medium onion
3 cloves garlic
2/3 pound Brie, rind on
Handful of all-puropse flour
1 tsp baking powder
Dash of milk, soymilk, cream, or water
Salt and pepper, to taste

Vegetable oil, to shallow-fry

We're following this technique almost totally - the only difference is the stuffing part, which happens in the pan, so procede as decribed - parboiling, peeling and shredding your taters - shredding the onion over the same disc, adding your minced garlic, salt and pepper, then mix. Add your eggs, flour, baking powder, mix, and then a tiny pour of milk, until you see batter thinly coating each shred of tater.

Heat about 1/2 inch of oil in a heavy iron skillet to medium. Have your cheese at the ready. We're keeping the heat a little lower than usual to give us time to make and stuff three latkes at a time.

Fork about a tablespoon of batter into the pan and flatten it with the back of a spoon. Quickly press a piece of brie into the batter, leaving a border of pancake free from cheese all the way around it. Fold it to fit if need be. Fork an equal portion of batter over the cheese, making sure to enclose it completely. Procede to make 2 more latkes in this way - by time you finish the third, it'll be time to flip the first.

When you flip these babies, press down slightly to compress, but be gentle. You don't want to squash your cheese out of its pocket.

Continue making latkes until the batter is gone. You'll have 10-12 large pancakes.























The cheese replaces the traditional sour cream accompaniment, at least for me. I didn't have any on hand, so I didn't try. Could be magic, who knows?

Enjoy.

19 comments:

  1. Wow, these might be the most decadent latkes ever! 2/3 of a pound of brie? Granted, I'm very much a latke traditionalist, but these look too god to try. Where did you even think of this, as this is so unique!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I already love just plain Latkes but your recipe looks amazing!

    You have a very nice blog! Stop by my blog for a visit when you get the chance!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my that sounds amazing! First time visitor but I will be back!

    ReplyDelete
  4. these look unbelievably tasty :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not so sure my boss and his wife would have loved this, they always stayed with the "old fashioned" tried and true recipes, but I love this unusual and yummy brie filling in the latkes. BTW I am a "private chef". Your other dishes & photos are beautiful too!
    Congratulations on the Top 9... Well, deserved!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my god....these look so incredibly delicious. You are a genius.

    Congrats on the Top 9!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't imagine a more delicious latke, it's my dream latke!! I can't wait to try this on a special Saturday or Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love latkes and never thought to stuff them with anything. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your pic and post!! Congrats on getting to Foodbuzz Top 9!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love latkes and applesauce. Never thought to make them with brie. I'll absolutely have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW I'm kinda overwhelmed by all the awesome, kind words. Thanks you guys :) Totally a surprise, and totally a well-needed bright spot in my day.

    Seriously tho. You make the latkes. You love the latkes. I guarantee ;D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yum - actually double yum!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I now know whats for lunch tomorrow! Absolutely delicious sounding :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. OK - Now you're talking latkes!
    If I substitute some gluten free flour, I can do these. Sounds like dinner tomorrow to me!

    ReplyDelete
  15. just had to say - i just love the typo in matt's comment. lol. yes indeed...

    ReplyDelete